To look into the abdominal solid organs, – liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, kidneys and bladder.
- Evaluation of causes of abdominal pain / symptoms
- Diagnose or treatment of ascites
- Look for stones in the gallbladder or kidney
Preparation for procedure:
- Fasting for at least 8 hrs prior scan (No food/drinks)
- For ultrasound kidneys / bladder, you may need a full bladder
- Take medication with small sips of water
- For diabetic patient, insulin is allowed
How the test is performed:
- Ultrasound machine makes images of organs and structures inside the body by sending out high frequency sounds waves that reflect off body structure, unlike X-ray/ CT scans, this test does not expose you to ionizing radiation.
- You may feel a little discomfort, the conducting gel may feel a little cold and wet.